CELEBRATE THE USA THIS JULY AND LEARN ABOUT THE WORLD THROUGH THE OLYMPIC SUMMER GAMES!
This month Pretend City Children’s Museum is celebrating the birthday of our nation and teaching children what it means to be patriotic! As an exciting addition, the 2012 Olympic Summer Games, which happens only once every four years, will be a big emphasis at the museum. Give your child a chance to learn more about the world and join us for a special opening ceremonies torch run event that you will not want to miss!
July highlights include:
Tuesday, July 3: Celebrate the 4th of July a Day Early! (All Day)
Come celebrate USA’s birthday the child’s way! Before the fireworks light up the sky, visit Pretend City as these Independence Day festivities will celebrate life, liberty and the pursuit of fun! Special events and activities of the day will include:
- Music & Movement: Independence Day Parade - Join us in the Orange Plaza to show off your child’s stars and stripes as we proudly wave the U.S. flag through the city. We will sing the national anthem and pay tribute to the land of the free and the home of the brave.
- Costumes of a Culture Kiosk: Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty Edition – Your children will love to strut their patriotic stuff on the “catwalk.” Design and dress up as these two American “icons.” Red, white and blue are in fashion today!
- Smart Art: Sparkling Fireworks – Fireworks are a symbol of Independence Day. Your child will let their colors burst in our Art Studio by creating their own "fireworks."
- Sensational Science: Up, Up, & Away! Patriotism never fizzles here as we use science to help us “launch” a variety of items to go up, up, and away.
RSVP: Not required Fee: Included with museum admission
Wednesday, July 4: Closed in Honor of Independence Day
Friday, July 6: Parent’s Night Out, Children’s Night In – Lost In Space (6:00-9:00p.m).
Specifically for: Preschoolers (4-5 years), School Ages (5-8 years)
*All children must be toilet trained.
Need a parent’s night out? Drop the kids off at Pretend City for a night of space exploration! Your little rocketeers will enjoy a healthy dinner before blasting off to explore the “galaxy” of Pretend City. And for a truly out-of-world experience, we’ll be watching a special viewing of PBS’s The Electric Company. By the time you come to get them, they’ll be shouting “Houston, we’re ready for take-off!”
RSVP: Reservations required by Wednesday, July 4, 2012 to secure your space.
On-site registration will not be permitted. Event is subject to cancellation should the minimum amount of attendees not be met. Maximum: 35 children; Minimum: 20 children Adult/Child Ratio: 1:5 Fee: $35 per child, $30 per child for two or more children from the same family, $25 per child for members
Monday, July 16: Baby Steps through Pretend City (2:00-3:30p.m.)
Since all children start out with baby steps, Pretend City is offering an exclusive infant and young toddler only program every 3rd Monday of the month! Join other parents who have children the same age and are working to achieve the same developmental milestones with no older children to get in the way! Our Play Partner and trained staff will help you learn what is developmentally appropriate for your little one and will even bring you up to speed on summer safety tips for babies. Don’t forget to pick up a free Ages & Stages Questionnaire!* to ensure your little one is developing on track! They're FREE, fast and easy! Enjoying the summer is a great time to let your infant explore the outdoors. Watch your baby’s reaction to the touch of grass and see just how stimulating the outdoors can be! RSVP: http://pretendcity.org/events max 60 Fee: $10 per adult, infants and Pretend City Members are FREE!
Specifically for: Infant (0-18 months),For the comfort of our infant guests, no older siblings please.
Friday, July 27: Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony! (10:00a.m.-3:00p.m.)
Calling all aspiring Olympians to join us for the torch lighting parade during Pretend City’s Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony! This exciting event only happens every four years so you won’t want to miss out! Take this opportunity to give your little one a better understanding of the history and significance of the Olympics. Join in the celebration with these fun-filled events:
- Make an Olympic Medal or Olympic Flag in the Art Studio
- Show your Pride and hold your flag high for our Pretend City Olympic Parade and Opening
- Ceremony at 12:30p.m.
- “Pass the Torch” we will have an Olympic torch being held and passed to each other throughout the
city to signify the games are about to begin! The ceremony will end with the final “lighting” of the torch in Orange Plaza!
- See where the actual 2012 Summer Olympic torch has traveled on its way to London during Olympics Trivia around the World!
- Dance to songs of unity in Orange Plaza
RSVP: Not required
Fee: Included with museum admission
About Pretend City Children’s Museum
Pretend City Children’s Museum is the first educational facility of its kind in the western United States representing a small, interconnected city designed to “build better brains” through purposeful play, hands-on learning experiences, role playing, and educational programming. As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, it depends on community-based funding and guest support. Through 17 interactive exhibits and activities guided by a highly trained professional staff, children learn foundational math, reading and science skills, while fostering curiosity, creativity, critical thinking, problem solving, organization, teamwork, self-confidence and socialization. The museum is a unique community resource where families, educators and community agencies come together to ensure that each child gains the experiences needed for a productive and fulfilling future. Pretend City Children’s Museum is located at 29 Hubble, Irvine, CA 92618. For more information, please visit www.pretendcity.org.