Thinking about having a holiday party? Below are some tricks to spice up your drinks, along with kid-friendly and alcoholic versions of popular holiday drinks.
Making your everyday drinks festive
- Use whipped cream on the top when applicable. Decorate with red and green sprinkles, candied fruit, cinnamon candies, candy cane, or shaved colored chocolate. Pretty much any edible sweets with festive colors or shapes.
- Use a set of holiday-colors or shaped wine charms. You can find many styles on Amazon and local retailers.
- If the drink is hot, then you can put a cinnamon stick or candy cane - perfect for the look AND enhancing the flavors of the holiday.
- If the drink is cold, then make your own decorative ice cube! Freeze tiny cranberries, mint leaves, crushed candy cane pieces into cubes. They will create a sophisticated festive look in your martini and hi-ball glasses!
Popular holiday drinks: Kid-friendly and Adult versions
Egg Nog for kids
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 2 1/3 cups milk
Blend all the ingredients together and serve chilled
Egg Nog for adults
- 2 ounces of dark rum
- 1/2 ounce of vanilla vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces of Eggnog
- Dash of simple syrup
- Crushed graham crackers for garnish
- Before serving, crush one graham cracker per glass onto a side plate.
- In another plate pour a dash of simple syrup and gently set your martini glass on to the plate to coat the rim, then place the glass onto the graham cracker plate to coat the rim with crushed crackers and let stand while you prepare the martini.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the ingredients and shake vigorously before straining into the martini glass.
Hot Chocolate for kids
- 1 can/tub whipped cream or cool whip
- 8 ounces Any flavor syrup (try peppermint, mocha, raspberry)
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbles
- 1/2 cup slivers of candy canes
- 1/2 cup bits of sugar cookies
- 1 quart hot chocolate
Set up a self- serve bar so guests can help themselves and try their own combinations.
White Chocolate Frosty Martini for adults
- Handful of coconut
- 2 ounce of white chocolate liqueur
- 2 ounces of Vanilla Vodka
- Add the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously before straining the contents into the martini glass.
- Sprinkle each glass with extra coconut for garnish before serving.
Wassail Bowl for kids
- Whole cloves
- 1 large orange
- 2 qts. apple juice or cider
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Heat oven to 350. Insert cloves into orange. Place in shallow baking pan and bake at 350 for 30 mins. Pierce orange in several places with tines for a fork.
- In large saucepan, combine apple and lemon juice, cinnamon sticks and baked orange. Cover; simmer over low heat 30 mins. Remove sticks and orange. Pour into heatproof punch bowl. If desired, float the orange in the bowl. Serve [safely] hot. Makes 16, 4 oz. servings.
Wassail for adults
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 (750 ml) bottle pinor noir or a light red wine
- 2 Red Delicious Apples, washed, cut into wedges
- 2 Bartlett pears, washed, cut into wedges
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- Place cider, wine, apples, pears, cinnamon, and ginger in a large pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove cinnamon sticks. Keep Wassail in pot over low flame on stove for guests to help themselves.
Christmas Mint Punch for kids
- 1 1/2 c water
- 10 oz mint jelly
- 3 c pineapple juice, chilled
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 64 oz Sprite
- 1 qt lime sherbet
In small saucepan, combine water and mint jelly; cook and stir until jelly melts. Cool. In large punch bowl, combine jelly mix and juices. Just before serving, add Sprite and lime sherbet.
Christmas Mint Punch for adults, aka Mojito
- 1 handful torn mint leaves
- 1 dozen pomegranate seeds
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeeze lime juice
- 1 dash simple syrup
- 2 club soda
- In the bottom of a shaker muddle the mint leaves and the pomegranate seeds to create a festive red and green base for the cocktail.
- Add the rum, the lime juice and the simple syrup.
- Shake over ice and pour into a rocks glass.
- Top with club soda.
- Garnish with a lime or a sprig of mint or even a few more pomegranate seeds!
Enjoy and post below your tricks or recipes!
Are you looking for holiday props for your family photo shoot or party such as the picture above? You can get the from http://livelaughlovelots.etsy.com